Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wait, I don't understand...

Wait, I don't Understand...
This month I began one of the most exciting and frightening parts of my time with Journey Corps. Living in an Ivorien home. On Thursday November 1st, I moved in with the Yeo family in Brobo just outside of Bouake.  It's exciting because this complete immersion is a masters level course in culture, worldview, thoughts, beliefs, and of course language. The frightening part of this is living in the family on my own. I don't have a translator to help with miscommunications or a someone from my own culture to help me make sense of what I'm seeing and experiencing. And so I end up making alot of mistakes and saying, "Wait, I don't understand..."
These challenges are part of the value of my time here. The lessons I learn here and the way that these experience shape me will make me more able to tell the story of the change and growth I see happening here in Cote d'Ivoire, change that is only possible because of God's work here.  Already, I can notice a difference in how I see the people and their stories. As I start to plan shoots and productions I am certain this new perspective will make my productions that much better.


Social Lessons
I've been learning so much and I want to make sure I share some of those lesson with you.  Internet in Brobo is... difficult at best and non-existent most of the time. Still I'm trying to post as much as I can to differrent social media channels.  Besure to check out Facebook for all the latest pictures. And follow me on Twitter @CADVideo .  Make sure to check out the different threads by searching for the hashtags: #CIclassroom, #whereiamat, and #drewvsinternet. I've also been able to post some longer thoughts and experiences on the blog at CADVideo.Blogspot.com 

Thanksgiving
With out the ads for Black Friday Sales and special Thanksgiving deals, the idea of thanksgiving and what I have to be thankful for has been a clear focus this month. God has continued to provide for this project through people like you. Thanks to you and other supporters, I have over 200 people that are reading this newsletter and following the project. 20 different  people, family and friends, continually give to my project each month providing aproximately 65% of my full financial budget. In the last month, 3 new people joined that team, and one family gave a very geneours one time gift so that my work accounts now have over $6000.  Because of these generous people, I have enough money to be able to start the travel and production when my time in Cote d'Ivoire comes to an end in January.
Thank you for being part of this project. If you have any questions about the project, how finances are used, what is still needed, or how you can become more involved please contact me via email at
DocSkribled@gmail.com  or reply to this email. Again thank you for being a part of this exciting project.

Your Fellow Servant,
Drew Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment