Thursday, April 28, 2011

Soo... What are you up to?

 Perhaps you’ve had this experience and can relate.  You run into some one you haven’t seen in years, maybe at a coffee shop, church or maybe even the movie theatre.  The conversation goes something like this.
            “Hey, Wow how long has it been?”
            “Oh, I guess like what, since school right? That was 5 years.”
            “Man I can’t believe it.  You living in the area?”
            “Yeah, Just moved in to the neighborhood and am really loving it.”
            “Yeah, there’s a lot of great places around.”
            Then comes that inevitable silence as you both stumble for any info you’ve seen on your Facebook news feed about Jobs, Relationship status, or life changes you should have been aware of.  Eventually you ask,
            “Sooo… What are you doing now?”
            Most peoples answers are pretty similar work, marriage, church, finishing school, kids.  Mine goes a little something like this.
            “Wow, God’s been doing so much in my life. I’ve been working as a Freelance Video Producer for the past couple of years but business has slowed to almost a complete stop.  It’s given me the time to see how God has been preparing me for a new project.  I’m not sure if we ever talked about this, but I’ve always been interested in telling stories about what God is doing through missions around the world. In the last year or so, I started playing with the idea of producing Videos in Africa that will engage the local US church in His work there. 
              “Since February, that idea has formed into a reality.  Working with the mission organization World Venture, I’ve been able to plan a trip, or really a Mid-Term Project, to produce Mission Videos in the 15 different African Countries they are working in.  Specifically, I’m going to be traveling from country to country to tell the story of what God is doing through the missionaries and local church there, but also to visually explain the work that needs to be done.  I hope to show the Church the opportunities that exist for them to be involved in missions. The big picture dream is that through these videos and by using social networking outlets that the Church will be challenged by God and his work.  I believe that as the church becomes engaged in missions God will nurture and develop them into His image. At least that’s been my experience.  So I’m excited to be able to give this opportunity to other people.
“I could go on and on about this but, in a nut shell that’s what I’ve been up to.  Maybe we can get together soon and talk more. When are you free?”

No comments:

Post a Comment