Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Psalm 136 - Remember

I am a dreamer. I imagine the future and the infinite possibilities. I create fantasies of the future in my mind and then try to translate them into realities, stories, and experiences that I can share. This often makes me optimistic and gives me the drive to do crazy things, like travel to Africa for 2 years.

The downside to being a dreamer? I can imagine all of the bad outcomes, obstacles, and challenges. For this project its visa rejections, missed deadlines, poor communication, logistics, broken transportation, funding, weather, illness, emergencies, political instability and the list goes on.  Simply put... I worry.

I put huge questions in front of me that don't need to and or  can't be answered. What if this? How about that? If this goes wrong what then? As the questions lay across my way, I find myself stopping and fixating on them, immobilized by the inability to answer these questions. Immobilized by fear of the unknown.
Jesus had some pretty choice words about worry.  
Mt 6:25-34
"Don't worry about your life...Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."

Convicting words. One thing that I am finding helps to pull my eyes off my worries and back onto Christ is Remembrance.  I remember what God has already done for me. By looking back I can clearly see His hand of provision and guidance when looking forward it can seem absent. I think this was the attitude of the Psalmist of Psalm 136. 

When I dream about the future, I often forget the faithfulness that God has displayed. But as I look back, I am reminded, "His Love endures Forever."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. Do you know the song "Never Once" by Matt Redman? I heard it for the first time at high school retreat this weekend and it blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Here I raise my Ebenezer..." Our family started our Ebenezer box... how are you going to take a tangible Remembrance with you to Africa?

    ReplyDelete